Thursday, April 1, 2010

An update on Little Roxy

I Just copied this from my sisters blog- Its long but worth the read for all of us who will be having baby's!

Here we are at the Primary Childrens Medical Center with our little Roxy.  I took her in on Saturday to have the Doc check her and Oakley out. Oakley was in a ton of pain as well as a nasty cough. Oakley now has pneumonia and he sent her home with antibiotics for 2 ear infections and pneumonia. At this point Roxy had a congested nose and was starting to get a cough. She was still eating off and on, but she sounded horrible to me as her Mom. The Doctor however told me he couldn't hear anything I could hear and she sounded okay. He sent me home telling me that it was "good feeding". He thought that I was just nervous because of Oakley and her sickness. He also said that the probability of Roxy having something this young was not very high. He said that she was too young to allready have symptoms. NOT TRUE!!!! (The docs here say that the incubation period can be as little as 2-3 days in these infants!!!!!! Therefore she totally could have gotten this virus from our little Oakley. Sometimes, you just can't stop it. They told me that you just have to do the best you can to keep sick people away from the baby for as long as possible. They also said that a person who is sick with RSV (common cold symptoms in adults and older children) can infect someone for as long as 3 weeks!!! I have sure learned a lot about Viruses on top of what I had learned in my Health Ed classes for my Bachelors. These virus are so vulerant! So scary! My family thought I was parenoid before this experience with my little ones. Wait until they see me now. They can think I am crazy. They won't understand completely until they hold a baby of their own not breathing with grey gums and a blue face. HEART WRENCHING!!! Okay...so now that I have given my speech, I will now step off the soap box and continue on with the story.


Sunday morning, she was still progressivily getting worse with her cough and her breathing. She couldn't breath through her nose well and that is the main breathing route for infants. I went to bed Sunday night very nervous and afraid for her. I had decided to take her in the next morning if she had not improved. Monday morning, I wolk up and realized that she had not eaten all night! I leaned over quickly and saw that she was still breathing. However, a bit later I was trying to help her eat and she stopped breathing a few times while I was trying to nurse her and she wasn't very responsive. I thought I had lost her a few times that morning. Can I just say that I wouldn't wish that feeling on one of my worst enemies! It was unexplainable how that felt. After I had to "bring her back" a few times when she would quit breathing, I ran up the stairs and told Jaron to come down and we needed to go to the doc right away. I had him hold her for a minute while I grabbed some shoes ect and he came in and said, " this is really scary isn't it!?!" I said yes, and we were out the door.

On the way to Logan, Jaron and I both had the thought that maybe we should have taken her to the ER in P-town instead of the doc in Logan; but when we arrived and had her in the ER in Logan we were sure glad that we had taken her there. We got to the Doc's office and waited in the waiting room for a few minutes that seemed lke hours. We told the nurse again that this was an emergency and that we really needed help. She very rudley walked out. We really should have taken her strait to the ER; but she seemed to be responsive the entire way to the hospital. I think we were both in shock. We then took her into the doctors office and our Doc checked her O2 levels and decided to send us to the ER doc. A sweet nurse sped walked us and Roxy over to the ER and they had her on life support within the next little while. Her little body was just so tired that she was having a hard time getting enough oxygen on her own to keep going. They took a blood test and she came back positive for RSV. They then mentioned a few other possibilities and after talking with the Docs here at Primary Children's they decidedd to life flight her here. There are a whole lot more details that I could vent about, but I figure this is enough excitement for one post. She is still on a ventelator that breaths for her, 40-50% oxygen, as well as a feeding tube they put in last night so that she can now absorb Mommy Milk instead of just intervainously being fed.

This has been such a roller coaster. I don't know if I have ever had so much emotion hit in one day. I have dear friends that have talked about their personal situations with similar experiences, but I now feel a glimpse of what it might have felt like. It is just awful. I don't know if there is anything stronger then a mother's love besides of course the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the love He and our Father in Heaven has for us. As I have prayed to Father in Heaven through this whole thing, I just can't help but thank him for the Love he has for us and the love I have in my heart for my little ones. They are so special. This life is so bitter sweet. The bitter sometimes comes right along side the sweet.

2 comments:

smiliesar said...

So scary! I'm so glad she's okay for now. Any info on how long till she will recover? HUGS to you and your family.

Kylie said...

oh gosh. Poor little girl and poor Becky! I hope she get's better soon. We'll keep their family in our prayers.