Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 11 for Roxy Pearl


I just copied my sisters post- SO sad!
Wahoo! The tube is out (atleast the tube going down her little throat); and I got to hold her for the first time last night since we took her to the ER in logan last monday! She now has a canula that they can support her with pressure and oxygen. Can I just tell you how awesome it felt to know that she is progressing and I can hold her. I can't wait to be able to nurse her!

Last night we had another hiccup from the medical world. Last night she was acting like she was starving; so I asked the nurse why they were not feeding her since they took the tube out. She told me that after the extubation (taking the tube out) they don't feed them for a few hours. I still didn't feel that great about it.I felt like she needed the strength to keep going. The docs even said that she would start feeding in the morning. So, this morning I get here and she was screaming (okay so when I say screaming...she is doing the motions and she is purple like she is sooo sooo mad but her vocal chords are still too far apart to make any sounds) and he is turing to her side, licking her lips, etc telling me that she is starving still. The resident (the doc under the doc doing her residency) came by and saw that she had not eaten all night. She wasn't very happy about; and pretty much apoligized for the oversight. I guess what happened after they explained it to me...cause I wasn't very happy- was that they must have thought she had the feeding tube into her stomach instead of her intestines; so they didn't want her to asperate anything into her lungs.Lesson learned by Mommy...go with your gut.

 So this morning, they started feeding her a small dose and it will take 7 or so hours for her to get back up to the feeding level she was yesterday before extubation. Poor little thing. She has had to put up with a lot of mistakes of medical staff.... I know...we are all human; but it is still hard to swallow when it is your little sweetie that suffers. I have learned that you totally have to advocate for your child. The docs and nurses come and go; but you usually can recognize distress etc more quicklly because they don't know what normal is for her. I am so long winded...I know, but I want to remember all these lessons I have learned.

She is still in the intensive car unit due to the pressure and other support she needs for her lungs. Now, she will breathe on her own with pressurized oxygen support until she is ready for the next step. It is so nice to see her without the tube down her little throat. Baby steps...

New update- Friday april 9th

 Roxy just got moved out of ICU and to her own room!The tubes are gone except for oxygen and she is breast feeding! I'm almost afraid to say she is improving cause I don't want to jinks it!

1 comment:

Emily said...

So sad! It's totally true though. I learned that with Emma, go with your "mother gut" you've got it for a reason, and no one cares about your child as much as you do!