Monday, May 12, 2008

"Mom, do I need to lower my standards to keep my friends?"

This title comes from a talk given by Elder W. Craig Zwick and in it he tells a story about a boy named Ethan and it is so crazy because it was exactly what I need to hear in a situation I have been going through. I babysit a 6 yr old girl that is not a member of our church, which is totally fine. But her mom told me last week she doesn't want her daughter to be tough our religion which is ok, but then when she came on Friday I really realized I'm not deliberately teaching her anything I am just living it. And so when she was getting picked up I talked to her mom and said I don't think you want me to babysit anymore because I am living my religion daily and if she is saying or doing things that is going against what we are trying to teach then I don't think that is fair for either of us. She was totally like, yeah I think that is the best thing to do. So it was my last day babysitting, I have been her sitter for the last 9 months we will miss her, but I think it is good to know that we don't need to lower our standers just for some friends or to get paid. We are still friends and I am sure they will come swimming in our pool but for now I dont have to have my Thur. and Fridays tied up anymore! Yaaaa
(Side note, I think why she thought I was teaching her was one time see saw one of our FHE coloring pages and she wanted to color it and she took it home, I wasn't here giving her all the primary lessons one after another, just so you know! I should have hu!!)
Elder Zwick said this to Ethan to answer the question, "Don't do it, Ethan. Never forget that you are a son of God. He loves you. Live by your standards. Stand up for what you believe in. Sometimes it is not easy, and you may be standing alone for awhile. Look for friends with integrity and character, then go to them and express appreciation for their examples. You might even find someone who has been feeling as lonely as you. Pray for guidance and protection from the Lord. He will sustain you. He will become a trusted friend, and you will discover that your example will attract many friends who will take courage from your strength of character."

8 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

tHAT is so great! What a good example you are!! Thanks so much for sharing your strength!!

Guh said...

i am so sorry that this was even an issue for you! I am so glad that you took the time to explain that your beliefs are something that you just can't "turn off".

JT42 said...

what a lesson-it's amazing what we learn when we aren't even looking for a lesson :) you are a great example, thanks for sharing.

Becky Sue said...

You are so awesome Sis! Thank you for reminding me how important it is to stick to your guns! Love ya! Can't wait to see ya!
Becky Sue

stephanie and sean said...

I'm so glad that you had the courage to make that decision. Though I feel bad because of the good influence you could have had on that little girl. If people only knew the wonderful values that we strive to live and that happiness it brings, I bet that mama would have been begging you to watch her much more than two days a week! I'm glad everything worked out so that everyone is comfortable though :) You are a wonderful example.

The Bee Family said...

Hey Tina-I think you totally did the right thing! My sister has a little neighbor that comes over EVERYDAY after school who is a non-member and she said it used to get so hard for her because she is always trying to take care of her own kids, but then she realized it was probably the feeling of the spirit and the love in her home that the little girl was wanting in her life because she didn't have it in her own home. I think that little girl will miss that, but at least now you can continue living the right way with your own children! I always love to check out your blog! You're always doing wonderful things.

Alisha said...

That sounds like a good talk . . . I sort of remember hearing it, but it gets fuzzy with kids sometimes. :) I'll have to go back and re-read it. Way to go applying it to your real life! I really enjoyed reading this.

The Woolner Family said...

Amen sista! Good for you and congrats being done babysitting.